Day two of my my trek to Morelia . . .


I woke up good and early with the clear intention of not missing an ounce of what I was set to do while I was in Morelia. I’d never been to this tourism fair so in all honestly, I had no idea what the heck I was to be doing in the first place. Since my approach of taking the day one step at a time had worked for me in getting to Mexico, I decided I’d try the same approach this day.
Traveling alone forces one to push outside of one’s own comfort zone. That includes many things but this morning, it included inviting myself to breakfast with some people I’d met the  night before. They were gracious and welcoming and small talk abounded while we discussed just what on earth we were to do next as it related to the Cultural Tourism Fair.  People who work in the travel industry, are some of the most welcoming people I know. We’ve all traveled alone at one time or another and we all know how great it feels to finally have someone to share a meal with and share an experience with someone other than ourselves.    We managed to get ourselves to the Cultural Tourism Fair and we all went our separate ways  as we all had appointments with different vendors at different times but decided to meet up later. Here I was again, in a world of people who seemed to know what was going on and there I was, a deer in headlights ( or at least feeling like one) wondering what the hell? Sometimes, if you think hard enough that you are the bomb, you may actually feel that way. I self-talked myself  into knowing  just that and introduced myself to every vendor I could possibly find. I learned all that I could about Durango, Chihuahua, Queretero and many other fascinating states of Mexico. I was inspired by what I learned and felt a great need to see ALL of Mexico and as soon as I could . I’d fallen even more in love with Mexico and I never even thought that was possible.
This is not my "friendly Morelia Tourism contact" but he was friendly and I did meet him in Morelia. 

My friendly Morelia tourism contact was always within a stones throw in the event I needed anything and at the end of the fair, he walked me back to the hotel and never once did I feel like I had no idea what was going on because by this point, I’d figured that everything goes just as it should. I’d made friends that just yesterday I was afraid I’d never meet. . . and I knew somehow,  that we’d be friends for a very long time.
I met up with these new friends later on that day. We toured around Morelia on foot as we really weren’t sure what to do so we decided we’d explore on our own. For those that say Mexico is scary, I’d have to tell them to stop watching the news. Yes, there are scary parts of Mexico. Yes, there are drug trafficking problems. Yes, there is crime. Let me be the first one to tell you that there are also, people going to work on a daily basis, there are people getting married, children going to school, families playing in the park together and there are tourists a plenty enjoying everything Mexico has to offer to those who aren’t afraid. Life goes on in Mexico and it’s beautiful to watch and be a part of .
In that pot was the tastiest batch of carnitas en salsa verde ever to cross my lips.

Life goes on : a young girl celebrates her 15th birthday ( quincineara) 

Young dancers do their thing in the Plaza Cultural

Alive and more than well in Morelia. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun ~ What's the big difference?

La Limpia

Finding peace in Huatulco