Is Nicaragua safe?





I travel to places where many people sometimes give me that "Oooh, you're going there? Isn't it dangerous? Isn't it poor? " comment. I always respond with an enthusiastic, "Yes I am and I am about to break any stereotypes that you may have about this country."

My most recent trip was to Nicaragua where I spent my days meeting with tourism partners, hoteliers and then traveled around to experience the country first hand. In order to promote travel to a country, I like to experience it personally so that I am basing my suggestions off of personal experience instead of someone else's reviews. 


Augusto Cesar Sandino.
When most people think of Nicaragua, their first thought is usually one of a few of these things : Guerilla warfare, Sandinistas, poverty, danger, and gang activity. Understanding the history of a country will allow you to see past the stereotypes that you have and help you determine your own opinion on a destination.

Here's a bit of history for you on Nicaragua from the website:
 http://www.nicaraguasc.org.uk/about-nicaragua/sandino/
"Augusto César Sandino was born in 1895 and murdered in 1934 by National Guardsmen acting on the orders of the dictator Anastasio Somoza Garcia. Somoza later installed himself as president of Nicaragua. Somoza subsequently admitted to carrying out this crime with the backing of the US Ambassador.
From 1926 until his assassination in 1934 Sandino defied the military might of the US whose Marines had occupied Nicaragua since 1909 and finally, in 1933, the last contingent left Nicaragua. Six years of combat by a handful of workers and campesinos had made a significant contribution to that victory.
Sandino was not only a fighter but a prolific writer and gifted orator. Throughout the 34-year period of US-backed Somoza dictatorships, and ever since, ‘Sandinismo’ has become the rallying cry for freedom, self-determination and non-intervention, not only for Nicaragua but for liberation movements across Latin America."

Henri, my guide giving me the low down on Nicaragua geography.
On my first day in Managua, I did a city tour to get to know the history first hand by a local guide. As we traveled throughout Managua. It was through my guide, Henri, that I learned that the Sandinistas were not necessarily a bad group of people. Their initial intentions were to take down Samoza who was a tyrannical ruler and then ultimately, bring justice to the Nicaraguan people. As with any rebel group who is out to make a dynamic national change, corruption often leaks its way into the mix. My guide told me that the Sandinistas built schools and houses for local people and that his mother's house was in fact, built by the Sandinistas. In many ways, he was grateful for some of their efforts but in other ways, he was unhappy with the overall take over of the country, which by the sounds of it, many Nicaraguan's felt the same way.

As I walked through the streets of Managua, I saw the ruins of a city still on the rise of a revolution that took over it's country and ended in only 1991. While visiting places such as  La Plaza de La Revolocion where the Sandinistas celebrated their victory, the ex-presidential palace that is crumbling,  local markets and restaurants, I noticed one thing that stuck out to me : a sense of peace and tranquility. Even amidst what some may look at as rubble, every day life exists and in that every day life, hope and persistence persevere coupled with welcoming smiles and generosity live on.

faith persists.
To address the thoughts of, " But isn't it so poor in Nicaragua?" I'll say this: " Yes, yes it is." Nicaragua is the second poorest country in Central America BUT it is also the SAFEST country in Central America. That doesn't seem to go together does it? Let me tell you why it's the safest country to travel to in Central America. It's because the government and the people of Nicaragua do NOT tolerate gang or drug trafficking activity in their country. If someone comes into a neighborhood who has any resemblance of being involved in gang or drug activities, they are reported to the authorities and either brought to jail and charged or deported back to their own country. There is ZERO tolerance by the people of Nicaragua and they take pride in the safety of their country and they do whatever it takes to keep their people and their nation safe. 

Translation: We keep changing Nicaragua!
I spoke to many people about the safety of the country. I spoke to small town locals, I spoke to city dwellers, I spoke to travelers alike and each and every person always told me, " todo tranquilo aqui, no pasa nada." Translation: It's all mellow here, nothing happens. I can attest to the truth of those statements as well. I walked down the streets of Managua by myself and never once felt a sense of of fear ~ the only assault I did encounter was from a huge black bird that confused my frizzy hair with his birds nest and dive bombed the back of my head, but other than that, " todo tranquilo."

Todo tranquilo on Lake Nicaragua.
Moving beyond Managua and into the towns of Massaya and the colonial town of Granada, the "todo tranquilo" vibe persisted. Every day life ensued, travelers co-mingled with locals and other travelers alike.  The rustic backdrop of a nation that endured a revolution but that continues to be on the rise is a beautiful reminder of resiliency as a people. Honestly, we have a lot to learn from them.
So, to answer the question, " Is Nicaragua a safe place to travel to?" My answer will be a solid, "YES!" 
If you are at all curious about traveling to Nicaragua, I strongly suggest using a tour operator that will make your experience that much more enriching. You can do it on your own but there's nothing like having a local guide in your back pocket at all times to help you understand what you are experiencing.  Like I said, I travel to break down some barriers for you so that you feel more confident in moving forward with your travel plans. I create relationships with local people who bring you closer to the destination, culture and it's people.
When you are ready to experience Nicaragua for yourself, call me; you'll be so happy you did. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun ~ What's the big difference?

La Limpia

Finding peace in Huatulco