I can't say that I'm a seasoned traveler but I can say that I am a passionate dreamer of travels to be had. One of my favorite journey's was  to Costa Rica while on a 2 month study abroad program while in college.  I stepped off of the airplane, met the family I was to live with for the next 2 months and took every moment from then on as it came to me.

My fellow students and I traveled around Costa Rica on literally a dime and a smile. We ate black beans and rice, chicken, and cabbage salad daily. We walked miles in our Birkenstock sandals while feeling none the less like tourists. We went where the locals were and we immersed ourselves in the Tico culture.  One of the biggest selling points to me ( and it sounds odd to say) but I LOVED answering the "Como estas?" ( how are you?) question with the ever popular Tico response, "Pura vida!", which translates to pure life. Yes, this is how Ticos answer most "how are you's?" and this is how they greet one another. Yep, Costa Rica had me at Pura Vida. Is there  any better way to reply to someone  or greet a friend other than saying, "pure life?" I think not. 

We traveled to the Northern state of Guanacaste on busses packed with locals and other world travelers en route to an adventure.
When people think of Costa Rica, they think jungle,which is partly true but what is wonderful about Guanacaste is that it is loaded with dry forests, volcanoes, farm land and beautiful beaches. The air is not nearly as humid as it is in the southern part of Costa Rica. It's not touristy, it's peaceful and it is safe. Now, there are always exceptions to these things but when I was there and from everything I read, it's still the same way. Guancaste is home to the infamous Arenal Volcano which spews lava out of it nightly. If you get a clear day, you'l be privy to seeing the whole kit and kaboodle that is Arenal. It's massive and humbling and it looms over the sweet little town of La Fortuna. http://www.fortunawelcome.com/ 
If you're a sucker for a hot tub then you MUST visit Tabacon resort. Here, you can soak in bubbling hot waters heated by the looming Arenal Volcano while surrounded by tropical plants and animals. 

Yes, this really is what it looks like and yes you feel like a million bucks after soaking  your body in the mineral rich  water. There's really so much to say about Guanacaste that I can't fit in this blog. Check out the following website for more information on Guanacaste and all that it has to offer. I should mention that if you want to go to Guanacaste,you can fly direct to Liberia in Guanacaste. There are several airlines that fly direct to Liberia. ahttp://www.govisitcostarica.com/region/guanacaste/guanacaste.asp

While on my 2 month hiatus to Costa Rica, we also explored the southern part of the country, which is by far, much more tropical than the north. One of the most memorable places was Manuel Antonio. It's a beachy town, very touristy but also a hot spot for Ticos as well. There is a beautiful national park that offers walks through the jungle and the opportunity to see many of the plant and animal wonders of the area.  There's a lot to see and do in Manuel Antonio. Here is a great website that can help you decide if it's a place you want to visit. http://www.manuelantoniopark.com/mapk/default.asp

It would be wrong of me to not include the city of San Jose in this blog.San Jose is fabulous. It's a metropolitan area booming with art, culture, music and everything in between.  http://www.lonelyplanet.com/costa-rica/san-jose

Since the first day I set foot on Tico land, I've felt a connection to this country. The people, the food, the land in and of itself are beautiful and soul soothing. If you're interested in visiting a country unlike any other country in this world, you'll enjoy Costa Rica. If you like adventure, relaxing on the beach, eco-tourism, yoga retreats, fishing, and everything in between, this is your place. 

As they say in Costa Rica, "Pura Vida!" 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Limpia

Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun ~ What's the big difference?

Finding peace in Huatulco