Este es mi paraiso.

Part of what I love about traveling is learning about the people and culture of the destination and what makes them tick and stand out from the rest of the world. It fascinates me to discover that in a world of mass consumerism and egocentricity that there are still those out there who  are seemingly untouched by the commercialized world that we all live in yet thrive in ways unimaginable to most.

This is her paradise.
While hiking with our Ecoturismo Sierra Norte guides in the mountains that surround the beautiful town of Latuvi, Oaxaca, Mexico, we were introduced to a group of women. These women  supported themselves by growing and harvesting fruits and vegetables and then prepared them to sell for profit. We met "las senoras" in an apple orchard where they were harvesting apples with long poles that had 2 liter bottles of soda that were rigged up perfectly for pulling apples off of the trees. We tried our hands at harvesting apples and after a few good attempts and many apples later, I was embarrassed to admit that my arms hurt. Yes, this was arduous work yet these ladies did this day in and day out. I should add that I am roughly 5'9 and "las senoras" probably came up to my arm pits ~ they were short little ladies with short little arms that apparently had much more strength and stamina then mine.

Las Senoras ( and a fella) 
We gathered up our bags of apples that we had picked in the orchard and made the walk back to their kitchen where we would  prepare some of their delicacies. The bags of apples were heavy and there were lots of them and the walk to the kitchen was easily a mile or so of dusty up and down roads. As we walked and talked on our way back to the kitchen, I was distracted by the rolling hills, the fragrant flowers that lined the dirt road, the hummingbirds that flittered by my head and the overall beauty of where these ladies called home. In my awe of just how lovely this whole scene was, carrying apples together, breathing in the fresh mountain air and simply watching these little ladies do what they love,  I told the lady next to me, in Spanish, " Este es un paraiso. Tiene la suerte de vivir aqui" Translation: "This is paradise, you are so lucky to live here." Her response was simple and eloquently put, "Este es Mi paraiso. Naci aqui y me muero aqui. Lo amo mi pais." Again, translation, " This is MY paradise. I was born here and I will die here. I love my country."

Preparing apple marmalade
As I listened to  her tell me so simply and so honestly that this dusty road  that she walks on daily to harvest her fruit  to support herself and her family, is simply perfect for her and is everything she needs,  was thought provoking at best. There was such a sense of peace in her words that struck a cord with me. Instead of being envious of someone with a bigger home or whatever, I found myself envious of this little lady and her contentment with a simple life. To many, her way of life might seem laborious and difficult, but to her it's what she loved and had no desire to make it different. She spent her days doing what she loves in a place that she loves and does it all with people she loves. "Las senoras" are all related whether it be through marriage or blood; they work together, live near by one another and support each other through everything.

I think of "las senoras" often. When their sweet faces cross my mind, I am reminded of how it really is the simple things in life that make it sweet. I had conjured up ideas or expectations of what our hike into the orchard would be like but I honestly could never have prepared myself for the eye opening and heartwarming experience that I shared with my little seƱora who so fervently declared a simple life her "paraiso."

Viva la Vida.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun ~ What's the big difference?

La Limpia

Finding peace in Huatulco