Tepoztlan, Morelos. The "Sedona" of Mexico

I arrived in Mexico City bound for my first stop on my Mexico whirlwind of travel, punch drunk from having only two hours of sleep the night before, yet fueled by my unending enthusiasm for exploring a "new" destination in Mexico : Tepoztlan, Morelos.

Tepoztlan, Morelos lies about one hour south of Mexico City and is coined as the land of eternal springtime and good energy. Similar to Sedona, Arizona it has been said that the energetic vibrations in Tepoztlan are positive and emanate an overall sense of well being. I would have to say that as soon as I rolled into the quaint little town, my heart fluttered and I had a feeling of butterflies filling my belly. I'm pretty susceptible to vibrational energies and I knew that what I was feeling was a result of my body picking up the energy surrounding me and it felt GREAT!

Posada del Tepozteco. Bliss. 
My first stop, as well as my accommodations for the night, was at Posada de Tepozteco. Nestled high up on a hill overlooking the town of Tepoztlan, Posada de Tepozteco feels like it's own world. Once you enter into the gates of the small boutique hotel, you are welcomed by warm smiles and outstretched arms. Beautiful art lines the walls and a central courtyard filled with dining tables over looking the valley creates a surreal experience. My room was on the top floor of the hotel overlooking the swimming pool and center of town. I quickly opened my balcony doors only to be greeted by the sounds of music playing from somewhere down below. The clouds served as a beautiful curtain that swayed through the mountains that surrounded the valley creating an ever changing scene. 

The view from my room at Posada del Tepoztceco
I woke up the next morning to the sounds of roosters and church bells ringing. Music to my ears! After a delicious breakfast of papaya and chilaquiles verdes, I set out to explore the town. Fearful that my directionally impaired self would get lost somewhere on the winding streets of Tepoztlan, I carefully looked for landmarks that would help guide me back to Posada del Tepozteco.  I wandered down the cobblestone streets, marveling at the simple yet brightly colored buildings that lined the winding roads down into the center of town.
I arrived at the lively market filled with everything from live bunnies, myriads of beans, chiles, clothing and the most varied selection of produce I've yet to see. Church goers in their Sunday best's meandered the pathways of the market, enjoying ice cream with their families. I was told to visit the ex-convent in the center of town so after my market meandering, I found myself at the entrance of "Nuestra Señora de la Natividad" church. The entrance was designed using seeds creating an impressive mural. As I walked into the calming courtyard of the church, people played guitar, nuns sold their rosary beads and lovers kissed on the benches. Mass was in service so I moved past the entrance of the church out of respect for their worship and headed into the museum of the ex-convent.

Nuestra Señora de la Natividad,
Tepoztlan,  Morelos

Light filled the hallways and illuminated drawings on the walls from centuries before. It's a powerful experience to walk the same hallways that so many spiritual people also walked hundreds of years before, so I opened up my heart and let their energy pour into me. Throughout the museum, there are pieces of art from local artists. Modern creations lined the 15th century ex convent yet they seemed to fit perfectly amidst the historical Unesco World Heritage site. 



Outside of the walls of the convent, I heard band music playing. Mexico's children's bands are some of the most impressive displays of musical enthusiasm and talent I have ever witnessed. The music made for a perfect back drop to my experience. 

I made my way out of the convent and back into town, tracing my footsteps back to the hotel. I stopped into a little store to get a drink and found the most adorable man I'd ever seen. Wearing a cowboy hat that covered his weathered yet gentle face, he sipped on a glass bottle of Coke. I never wanted to forget his face because it was such a perfect display of what Mexico means to me : Tradition, hard work, smiling faces, simplicity and kindness. I asked to take his photo and he shyly said, "Ok." I snapped his photo and graciously thanked him and complimented him by saying, "Eres muy guapo, gracias!" Translation: You are so handsome, thank you. He bowed his head and smiled and replied, "Gracias." Perfect humility.


My soul was bursting with joy. Tepoztlan is a treasure of a town. It is actually one of Mexico's Pueblos Magicos or Magic Towns, deemed a national treasure by the country of Mexico as maintaining it's culture and historical significance, it truly is a magic town. 

After my journey into the heart of Tepoztlan, I went back to my room to reflect on my experience. As I sat on my balcony, I heard the same band that was practicing by the church earlier.  It was as though they were right outside my door. Soundtracks from the Simpsons, yes, the Simpsons, and national patriotic songs filled the air as children laughed and people screamed  in excitement at the bands music. My heart was singing with joy!

I spent less than 24 hours in Tepoztlan, but in that time, I had fallen deeply in love with it's spirit and energy, the valley and the mountains that surrounded it, and the people that call Tepoztlan home. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun ~ What's the big difference?

La Limpia

Finding peace in Huatulco